The types of data we collect
When you use the Scholarcy services, we log your IP address and the URL or filename of the file that you are processing on our servers. We require this information to monitor and protect against misuse of our service in accordance with our general Terms of Service and the Scholarcy Library Terms of Service.
When you sign up to the Scholarcy Library service we ask you to provide the following information:
- Email address
- Billing details for payment processing
- Any affiliation, e.g. university or organisation, which you can optionally provide if you wish
- Any role, e.g. student, researcher, journalist, which you can optionally provide if you wish
The purposes for which we intend to process personal data
We use the information you provide to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- Contractual performance, such as sending you password reminder emails if requested, subscription renewal reminders, receipts for services purchased, or issuing refunds if requested.
- We may use the information you voluntarily provide on your institutional affiliation to count how many users we have at each institution. We may use this information to identify potential sales leads.
- We may use the information you voluntarily provide on your professional role, to help us identify the types of people that use our service. We may use this information to develop new services for specific user groups.
- Only with your explicit consent when you opt-in via this website, we may periodically send promotional material about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- Only with your explicit consent when you opt-in via this website, from time to time we may also contact you via email for market research purposes.
Deleting your records (your right to erasure)
When you create a Scholarcy Library account, you have control over the data you create. If you wish to delete this data, you can cancel your subscription and delete your Scholarcy Library account and this will remove all user-generated data (your log in details, email address, settings and the summaries of all the papers you have uploaded). However, for compliance reasons we need to retain any invoice records associated with your previous subscription for a period of 7 years.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We store data via secure third party servers within the EEA.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better experience, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the Scholarcy Website, Scholarcy Library, and the Scholarcy Browser Extension.
For more details, see our Cookies Policy.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission, or are required by our contract with you or by law to do so. We use the following third-party services for processing the personal data that you choose to share with us:
- Active Campaign (if you subscribe to our mailing list or to Scholarcy Library)
- Postmark (for transactional emails, such as confirming your email address or resetting your password, if you subscribe to the Scholarcy Library service)
- Stripe (for processing your subscription payments if you take out a subscription to the Scholarcy Library service)
- Zendesk (for processing support and contact emails if you contact us for help and support)
- Google GSuite (for processing direct emails that you send us and our replies to you)
We do not use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties. If Scholarcy is involved in a merger, acquisition or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on the Scholarcy Website of any change of ownership or uses of your personal information as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information. You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulations. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please contact us.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us.