Let’s face it, these sorts of pages are long and boring – but that doesn’t mean they’re not important.
You can also navigate to a specific section from the ‘Jump to a section’ box just below the summary.
- We store essential information that you provide us (e.g., if you create an account, sign up to a subscription, contact support, or opt-in to email marketing). See what data we collect here and here, and why we collect it here.
- You have full control over your data. Learn how to control your personal information here. You can also request us to delete it here.
Jump to a section
This policy is effective from 01 January 2020 and was last revised on February 7, 2024.
The types of data we collect
When you use the Scholarcy services, we log your IP address and the URL or filename of the file that you are processing on our servers. We require this information to monitor and protect against misuse of our service in accordance with our general Terms of Service and the Scholarcy Library Terms of Service.
When you sign up to the Scholarcy Library service we ask you to provide the following information:
- Email address
- Billing details for payment processing
- Any affiliation, e.g. university or organisation, which you can optionally provide if you wish
- Any role, e.g. student, researcher, journalist, which you can optionally provide if you wish
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Last updated February, 2024
We are a Data Controller of your information
- Scholarcy needs to perform a contract with you.
- You have given Scholarcy permission to do so.
- Processing your personal information is in Scholarcy's legitimate interests.
- Scholarcy needs to comply with the law.
Why we intend to process personal data
We use the information you provide to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- Contractual performance, such as sending you password reminder emails if requested, subscription renewal reminders, receipts for services purchased, or issuing refunds if requested.
- We may use the information you voluntarily provide on your institutional affiliation to count how many users we have at each institution. We may use this information to identify potential sales leads.
- We may use the information you voluntarily provide on your professional role, to help us identify the types of people that use our service. We may use this information to develop new services for specific user groups.
- Only with your explicit consent when you opt-in via this website, we may periodically send promotional material about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- Only with your explicit consent when you opt-in via this website, from time to time we may also contact you via email for market research purposes.
Deleting your records (your right to erasure)
When you create a Scholarcy Library account, you have control over the data you create. If you wish to delete this data, you can cancel your subscription and delete your Scholarcy Library account and this will remove all user-generated data (your log in details, email address, settings and the summaries of all the papers you have uploaded). However, for compliance reasons we need to retain any invoice records associated with your previous subscription for a period of 7 years.
Please contact us if you would like your data deleted.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We store data via secure third party servers within the EEA.
Category of use
These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Websites and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
User Identification (cookies ensure that you remain signed in and have seamless access to the content you require).
Security Measures (These help safeguard your account, deterring unauthorised access and potential threats).
Finsweet Attributes (for keyword search functionality on our website – not Scholarcy Library)
These cookies are used to enhance the ecommerce experience of our Websites.
These cookies are used to capture form data, and improve the overall experience of filling out forms. (e.g., autofilling form data, saving form data in your browser so it’s not all lost if the page refreshes.)
Preferences and functionality
These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our Websites but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality (like videos) may become unavailable.
Vimeo (video hosting)
Advertising, Social networking cookies
These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
Research, performance, and analytics
These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our Websites are being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our Websites for you.
What about other tracking technologies, like web beacons?
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a website. We may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons (sometimes called "tracking pixels" or "clear gifs"). These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enables us to recognize when someone has visited our Websites or opened an email including them.
This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within a website to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to the website from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, to improve site performance, and to measure the success of email marketing campaigns. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission, or are required by our contract with you or by law to do so.
For a list of third-party services used for processing the personal data that you choose to share with us, please see the table under ‘What cookies we use’.
We do not use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties. If Scholarcy is involved in a merger, acquisition or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on the Scholarcy Website of any change of ownership or uses of your personal information as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information. You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK General Data Protection Regulations (UK GDPR). If you would like a copy of the information held on you please contact us.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us.
Have a question?
Get in touch with our team if you need something clarified.